"Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Eco-chic

In keeping with the Earth Day theme I've got going here I thought I would share a little bit about one of my favorite things: tote bags! I *heart* tote bags. Actually, all kinds of bags: purses, wristlets, tote bags, laptop cases, camera bags, luggage...you get the picture! But, since it is Earth Day I thought I would share some resources where you can find super-cute AND earth-friendly reusable shopping bags.

Select CVS stores are selling the trendy reusable totes seen in the photo above for just .99 this week! Can't beat that!

Target is always a good source of all things trendy and fun. You can get their standard red reusable tote for just .99 online and in stores. I also love this one, this one, this one, this one, this one, and this one.

My local AC Moore now sells their own reusable shopping tote for around $1.29. I picked one up last time I was in and I love it. It is very sturdy and super-roomy...perfect for picking up all kinds of crafty goodness!

I love this deal on Amazon on BAGGU Reusable Shopping Totes. You get a 6-pack for $38 and they have all of those fabulous colors to choose from. I love bags that fold up in to their own little pouches. So easy to stow in your car for when you are on the go.

For those of us wanting to really be eco-friendly, I love these durable yet chic totes made of hemp and organic cotton from reusablebags.com. And I love the rich, earthy colors.

I think one of my favorite sites I have found for reusable bags is b. happybags. I have not ordered from them yet but I plan to. Check out their fun selection. And I love their motto: "Green doesn't have to be beige." That is fabulous! This one is a definite favorite! And I love this one, this one, this one, this one, and this one.

Some other sites to check out stylish, earth-friendly totes are Pristine Planet, Ecobags, and The Daily Green. And don't forget that nearly all grocery stores now sell reusable shopping totes, usually for under $1 per bag.

Of course, if you are like me, and have a slight bag fetish, you could probably round up a few dozen or so bags around your home that haven't been used in a while. It is the ultimate act of recycling to find new uses for something you already have. Stash a few in the trunk of your car so you always have them for last minute stops at the grocery store or a "quick" dash in to Target (I don't know about you but in my world there is no such thing a quick Target trip!).

And if you are still using plastic? Well, it is not the best choice but you can at least find ways to re-use it. Here are just a few ideas:
* picking up after your pet (you gotta scoop the poop!)
* line small wastebaskets in your home
* use them to carry your lunch to work (and re-use it over and over)
* you can even use them to knit!!! Who'd a thunk it?!?

4 comments:

Michele said...

Thanks for the sites...I've got to get with it and join the promotion of going green! Great idea to start with a new bag for work!

Nicki Meier said...

Kristen! So glad you found me on my blog! Will have to catch up on you with your blog now...:) Love these things! :)
I have missed you all...couldn't ever sign back in once those changes were made over at GLU...didn't want to impose, There were never any hard feelings, I just figured I didn't post enough. So just kinda "went away". But still think of you all so often.
Anyways...you look GREAT!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Terri Steffes said...

I love my reusables, too! I have a back end of my car full of them! I love the title on your blog here!

Monica R. said...

I have a thing for bags too! I have a few we bought here at our grocery store and a bunch I got at grocery stores in England - Theirs are really pretty! AND I made a bag out of plastic bags. You can iron/fuse the plastic bags together to make a "fabric", then sew them together to make a tote. A friend in the states just sent me a gazillion plastic bags so I need to get busy putting some together. I'll see if I have an bags from Italy and I could put one together for you, Kristen. Maybe that's what I'll do on this gray rainy day.