"Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sunday, August 14, 2011

I know, I know, but I gotta share......

We picked all of this just this morning!!!

All of this wonderful fruity, veggie goodness...

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. 
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
~Anonymous

...in all of its rich, colorful, healthy glory!!!

It was worth picking it all in a steady drizzle!!!
We (and our family) will enjoy this deliciousness in many forms this week!

Spicy jalapenos and sweet banana peppers

Savory-sweet bell peppers

Cherry tomatoes (and a few Romas and Big Boys)

All this incredible color and flavor!

All right outside our back door!

YUM!!!
By the way....I canNOT get enough of these banana peppers!!!
I am putting them in/on everything!!!

~*~*~*~*~

The tomatoes we picked today are just the start. Our 8 little plants grew in to 8 giant monsters just dripping with tomatoes! There are vines and fruit EVERYWHERE!!! And they are all starting to ripen. So, what's a city girl gardener to do?



Teach herself to can!
Yep! I'm a-gonna put up those 'maters just like my country diva sistas!

I have really enjoyed being able to give away bounty from our garden to our family and friends, but I don't want to give it all away! We worked hard! And I want us to enjoy that healthy bounty in to the colder months. The fall and winter is when I actually enjoy cooking! I love getting up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning and making a big pot of homemade sauce or soup. I buy cans of crushed, diced, or stewed tomatoes constantly. Why not enjoy my own, fresh, grown by us tomatoes?!

So, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, and dadgummit that means I gotta can! ;-)

In fact, I am so enthusiastic about learning this new skill that I braved HellMart on tax-free weekend here in MA to stock up on mason jars.

My plan is to mostly can crushed/diced tomatoes to use in sauces and soups, but I also make a pretty kick-ass salsa, and with our abundance of jalapenos I will can a bunch of salsa, too! Football season is almost here and we enjoy having our friends over for Patriots games. Chips & salsa and ice cold beer is the go-to game day snack! And the one other thing I plan on trying is making some pickles.

But, juuuuust in case I really get in to this canning thing, this book

is also on its way to me!

~*~*~*~*~

My lack of blogging...and then when I do blog it is all gardens gardens gardens...would make it seem like there really is not much going on in my world. Hmmm. I guess that is kind of accurate. Gardening really has been the highlight of my summer so far, with the exception of a few fun things here and there.

BUT, good stuff is on the horizon, including:

~ a long-awaited trip to Bar Harbor
(which means many many many photos of my beloved New England!)

~ AUTUMN is almost here!!!
(which means TONS of stuff to blog about!!!)

~ speaking of Autumn, I have started work on this year's Fall Journal
(pics and a post to come SOON!)

~ My brother and I are going to our camp reunion!
(yeah, I have a "date" coming up with my brother! LOL)

~ Oh, did I mention AUTUMN is almost here?!?!?!?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And our scrapbooking weekends!!! Can't wait to be invited to dinner when you use some of the canned tomatoes in a sauce! LOL!!!

The Old Parsonage said...

Bring on the fall and all it's glory! Here's a quickie appetizer


1 block philly cream cheese
3 banana pepper - seeded and chopped

Mix softened cheese and the peppers. Place in a greased casserole - bake til bubbly. Serve with crackers.

It's really good.

Leann