"Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Just remember...


This past weekend was a "holiday" weekend. Memorial Day was observed on Monday. Yes, I guess it is a holiday, but it is a solemn day. So many people just consider it the un-official start of summer and I admit that I do, too, but I really hope people kept in mind the real reason we observe this day every May. It is a day to remember our troops, past and present, who have fought and are valiantly fighting the good fight...for our freedom. So many men and women have given their lives for this great country of our's. They have left their families and lives to travel to the far reaches of the earth to hostile places to face the tyranny of those people hellbent on destroying us and our way of life. They have made the ultimate sacrifice. It is because of these brave soldiers that people like you and me are able to "celebrate" Memorial Day with cookouts and parties and such. It is why we have this extra day off of work to get things done. I just hope in the midst of all the BBQing and shopping and yardwork and parties you stopped, even if just for a moment, and sent up a silent prayer of thanks and gratitude, for it is because of these heroes that we remember on that day that we are free to enjoy that day as we wish.

Now, I am not going to say that I didn't use the day to get things done around the house. I did. In fact, Kevin and I worked our tails off all weekend in the yard and in the house. But one thing we do together every Memorial Day is to take the time to visit a few cemeteries where our loved one's are buried. We go early and spend some time at each. First we visit my dear FIL's grave...he is a veteran, too! Then we visit the graves of Kevin's favorite uncle and his grandparents. Then we visit my grandparent's. There are many veterans of WWII and Korea in our families. And we take the time to pause in front of the many resting places of all of the soldiers buried in each of these hallowed grounds. And we pray. And we give thanks. And we remember. 

This year we got to Cedar Grove (the resting place of all of my beloved grandparents and other family members) just as the veterans ceremony was beginning. It was incredible and I was moved to tears. There were soldiers there from all branches of the military that served in WWII all the way to soldiers that have served in the current war in Iraq. The mayor of our city laid a wreath of remembrance on a memorial to the soldiers, the national anthem was sung, the names of our local soldiers killed in action were read, and many former and present servicepeople spoke. I am so grateful we were there to witness it.

So I leave you with this...it doesn't matter whether you "agree" or "disagree" with the current war. I will admit I don't. It doesn't matter if you are a Democrat or a Republican or neither. It doesn't matter if you are liberal or conservative. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, young or old. black or white. All that matters is that you remember. All that matters is that you support our troops, past and present. Remember the sacrifice they made for YOU. For your family. For your freedom. 

Just remember.


2 comments:

Tina❀ said...

Kristen,
You touch my heart with your eloquently written words.

By the way, LOVE YOUR BLOG, girl!!

Anonymous said...

Amen, baby girl!